hard drive crash...

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by jsnuff1, Oct 14, 2008.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

I cant believe this...I have owned macs for over 15 years and not ONCE have I ever had any problems whatsoever with them, let alone a catastrophic drive failure.

Of course now that im programming and have important information on the drive that im screwed if I lose, is when, after 15 years, it happens.

I had been backing up to both my time machine drive and my source code to a usb flash drive, but i decided to get lazy the last few weeks and not backup.

WHHHHHYYYYYY

So i lost a few weeks worth of work, which is not that bad as it can be redone quickly, but I think it will be more cost effective to just send the drive to a data recovery service rather than trying to redo all the code.

Where should I send it, there are a ton of these services with a google search. Anyone have any experience with any of them?

And yes I have tried both techtool pro and data rescue 2 with no luck....I think the drive has a bunch of bad sectors that killed the directory data.

Thanks for any help:(

2. dean1012 macrumors regular

A year ago something similiar happened to me. My portable HDD (only 2 months old) failed. I was dumb (and excited about having a portable HDD for the first time ever) so I copied ALL my personal files (pictures and everything) to this HDD.

When it crashed, it felt as if I had lost more than half my life in a single second. After trying all the software routes in windows and linux that I could think of, I started researching data recovery.

Unfortunately, I quickly found out that in most cases you will have to pay a lot of money (> $1000) to recover even some of your data and the process may take longer than just a few days.

The cheapest option I found was Best Buy. They charge $200 just for sending it to their lab. If the lab can recover data, they charge a certain $ (the exact amount skips me) per GB recovered.

For me, my personal life was well worth the > $1000. Unfortunately, my wallet could not agree.

My suggestion is to start over and make sure you keep up your backup routine.