Hard Drive Crashed - Apple slow to get replacement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Klrbee25, May 12, 2007.

1. Klrbee25 macrumors member

I bought my 24" iMac about two weeks ago and the hard drive failed last week. It suddenly lost its partition, then after reinstalling the OS on it, everything has been running slowly and crashing frequently. I went to the Mac store near my home, and they said they would order another 500gb HDD for me and call when it arrives so I can come back and swap my defective drive out for it. This was on Monday. At the same time, I went online and ordered an external 500gb drive from Newegg which arrived on Wed. The failed drive was so unstable, I instead installed everything to the external drive and have been using it as my boot drive. Even with frequent calls to the store, there is no word on the arrival of the new drive.

My question is this: why is Mac so slow to get a replacement drive ordered? My shipment from Newegg arrived in just two days, and here Mac is already pushing 5 business days just to get a replacement hard drive. I can't help but feel that this is totally unacceptable. For anyone else who underwent similar repairs/replacements, how long did you have to wait for the store to get the parts?

Thanks,

Alex

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

you went to a MAC store? tahts probably why they are taking so long, i dont THINK mAC HAS A STORE. and mac is not a company,, haha but anyways all jokes aside..i dont' know, this has never happened to me but i have heard of some peopel that waited a month to get a replacement from an APPLE store.Hope is not the case this time tho.

3. Klrbee25 thread starter macrumors member

Yes yes, I went to an Apple store.

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

You should ask Apple. Only they know what's going on.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes keep harrasing them but in a RESPECTFUL way always, or else theyw on t even care, i work on customer service and i know if someone is yelling at me or cussing or being disrespectful in any way i won't even bother trying to help them and if you piss me off then oh man you are going to be waiting for evvvver that is of course if i still want to do what i am supposed to do, there is many ways of not giving the customer what he wants if we don t want to...

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Wouldn't complain if I were you, every time my mac goes in for repair i'm without it for a month each time.

5 days turnaround would be brilliant for me. ;)

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, I think it's unacceptable, and personally I'd be wanting the drive shipped directly to me.

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i agree with you, but don t think that ll ever happen, but it should....

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, in the UK I've had both a graphics card and a mouse shipped to me in under 24 hours on separate occasions. Ok, so the UK's pretty small, and I get the impression that Apple is really trying to fuel growth here, but I'd still expect that something as important, and readily available, as a hard drive could be provided within a couple of days.

10. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

I'd call the store and ask for an update on your repair request, and if they don't give you a satisfactory answer, ask them why there's been an apparent delay.

The reason that they won't ship the drive direct to a customer is that it isn't considered a "user replaceable part" on the Apple support website. The last thing Apple wants is for you to void your warranty (or your iMac to suffer further problems) -- not saying that you'd do anything wrong, but not everyone is computer savvy, or capable of working on the insides safely.

One thing to bear in mind is that NewEgg is a retailer who stocks hard drives for sale, with a retail distribution model in practice. Apple is a manufacturer who uses a just-in-time delivery model for manufacturing, so they may not have a stack of replacement hard drives sitting in a warehouse. (For comparison, on a recent warranty claim, it took two weeks for Seagate to have a replacement 7200.10 750GB become available -- and that's their current model of manufacture and they're the ones who make them.)