Hard Drive Crashed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miky348, Mar 19, 2013.

1. miky348 macrumors newbie

hi,

I am new with mac. My macbook pro hard-drive crashed. I tried to repair, but got error (see attached pic). The OS came pre-installed, I don't have any starter cd.

1. How do I backup files? (I do have a usb portable drive). I never used iCloud, timeMachine or any other solution to backup files.

2. How do I get the hard-drive working?

urgent help needed!!

thanks

Attached Files:

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

A backup is something you need to do before your drive crashes.

If it's under warranty take it to Apple.

3. Sophia. macrumors member

Sophia.

Try this?

Bootup holding CMD+r, or the Option/alt key to boot from the Restore partitiion & use Disk Utility from there to erase & reinstall?

4. alarmmd macrumors newbie

Think hard before you do this

If you do this you will lose everything on hard drive

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try holding command-r when you boot to get to the recovery screen. Then start Disk Utility and run a repair disk. That might fix problems that cannot be repaired while you are booted to the volume.

If after that, you are still unable to read data from the drive to back it up you can try commercial disk recovery tools like Disk Warrior. If it is really important data there are companies that restore data, but it is not cheap.

If you are able to read data on the drive, just buy yourself a USB external drive and try to use Time Machine to backup your data before the drive dies.