Hard Drive Data Recovery help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NeverhadaPC, Apr 5, 2011.

1. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Hi,

A friend of mine had his uMBP crash on him, while in BootCamp partition (Linux) and it killed his hard drive (being a compute newbie, he did not Back Up --- what a friend I am :(). The Apple Store replaced the hard drive and gave him back his dead hard drive.

Our University was not able to access the drive in their computer shop (drive could not connect to their recovery program), but do you guys recommend any other (reasonably priced) options to recover the data on the drive?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What program did you already try? Odds are if that one can't see it, none of the other ones will be able to either.

3. NeverhadaPC thread starter macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

We didn't try a program per se but used an external enclosure connector, but it did not connect to the hard drive.

Any recommendations for software? Or special enclosures? The data is pretty important and worth a couple 100 dollars to recover.

4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Did it recognize that a drive was attached and couldn't connect to it or did it not even see that a hard drive was plugged in?

If it was the latter, then no software is going to help because that would mean the failure is a hardware one. Which would make sense that the drive failed and then Linux crashed, more so than Linux caused the hard drive to fail.

As for software, I did a quick Google search and found this page which offered an interesting possibility I'll probably try if one of my friends or family have a similar issue: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050302225659382

Good luck, I'm interested to see if anyone has any practical advice they can share, also.