Hard drive dead? Only see white screen...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by VdubRabbit, Oct 13, 2008.

1. VdubRabbit macrumors newbie

VdubRabbit

Hi. I'm new to this site and tried searching for similar posts but couldn't find anything similar to my problem...

My MB is a little over a year old and I failed to buy the extended warranty. I was on ABC's website watching TV shows when Safari quit unexpectedly. I tried to reopen it but the whole thing froze while the Safari Icon was doing that bouncing thing in the dock. I tried to reboot but nothing worked. The fan started and my MB became very hot. In fear that it would burn out, I removed the battery. (not sure if that was a good move) After about 30 seconds, I returned the battery and restarted it. It never made the Chime sound and stayed on the white screen (the screen right before you can login) I heard a faint clicking noise for only a few seconds and then nothing else besides the fan. It allows me to turn it on and off but never makes it past the white screen. I even tried inserting the CD that came in the box and it sucked it in and won't come out.

If anyone has any ideas or similar problems please help! I can't afford $75 to call Tech Support right now. And I'm lost without my MB:(

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Sorry to hear about your MacBook issues. Pulling the battery is a last resort since it may cause hardware issues, if you can do restart/shutdown thru OS X you can try just holding down the power button.

See if this helps regarding the start up issues:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

3. VdubRabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

VdubRabbit

Thanks for your response. I read the support link that you suggested. Unfortunately, none of the keys work. I know this because when I press the Caps Lock, the green light doesn't come on. All it allows me to do is turn it on and off. Do you think my hard drive died? :(

4. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

This sounds the same as what happened to be a day before my warranty ran out.

Im afraid to say the HDD has gone. If you keep doing it for long enough the white screen will soon show a folder with a ? in it. Apple replaced the HDD and it was sorted. But that HDD they replaced is only under warranty for 90 days after they fit it for some reason :S

But yea thats your problem im afraid. Hard drive has died... :(

Hope that helps

5. VdubRabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

VdubRabbit

Oh no! Yeah it helps but it's sad to hear. One more question, has anyone had to replace the hard drive AFTER the warranty has run out? Any ideas on how much this will cost me thru Apple as opposed to doing it myself...and is this something I can even replace myself?

6. eman macrumors 6502a

No, don't use Apple service (expensive). Yes, do it yourself. Install a new 2.5" SATA hard drive and use your restore disks and reload the OS.

7. VdubRabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

VdubRabbit

Ok thanks!

8. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Yea dont use Apple.

I got a 250GB 7200 for £66+VAT which isnt to bad.

Good luck :)

9. VdubRabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

VdubRabbit