Hard Drive Dead??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tobybirch007, Mar 31, 2008.

1. tobybirch007 macrumors newbie

I've had an iMac g5 for a few years now, and about a year ago it stopped working. I needed a computer right then (doesn't it always happen like that) so I bought a laptop and havn't looked at the Mac since and now I miss it and want it back. On to the problem...

When I start the computer, it clicks (2-5 times) then there is a whirring sound. It repeats this for a few minutes, then goes to a grey screen with a folder that alternates from a "?" to the finder icon. If I use the OSX install disk and run the disk utility, the HD doesn't show up there. But, if I run a hardware test, it passes the mass storage test.

I'm about to the point of just buying a new HD and re-installing everything, but I wanted to check here first. If I go the new HD route, is there anything Mac specific I need to know about, or will just any SATA drive work? Also, is there anyway to get data from the old hard drive, like hooking it up as an external?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Drew.

2. iBookG4 FTW macrumors member

iBookG4 FTW

That definitely sounds like the hard drive. I might be wrong tho, wait for some more knowladgeable members to come around.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It sounds like it's dead. Have you tried booting off of the installer DVDs and checking to see if they'll see a drive there?

What kind of iMac G5? Does it have a built-in iSight?

4. tobybirch007 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an G5 isight, running 10.4.2

Yeah, I booted from the install disk and ran the disk utility. The only drive that showed up was the DVD drive. This is the HD I plan to replace it with.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tails.asp?EdpNo=3255389&body=MAIN#detailspecs

I read somewhere that 7200 is not recommended due to overheating, anything to that?

I'm also looking to upgrade the ram, because I took the ram out sometime and can't find it. I'm pretty sure (according to the hardware test) that there's 512 ram built in. Best I can tell, this ram will work.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1558837&CatId=1649

The specs say the mac supports 2.5g, and I'll have 1.5?

Also, what's the deal with dual channel if I can't install another 1gb stick inside the mac somewhere?

Thanks.