Hard Drive Dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pauldunbar, Sep 29, 2008.

1. pauldunbar macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    first time poster so please bear with me. Have a mbp, 2.0 ghz, 2 gig RAM, running Tiger. Froze on me yesterday, couldn't force quit. Turned on and off and am now stuck on grey screen with apple logo and a regular ticking sound every 2 secs which i'm sure is the hard drive. Will not start in Safe mode and single user mode and verbose mode do not work saying disk0s2 [some numbers] undefined. Ran Disk Utility and disk repair and got this error message:
    Error: the underlying task reported failure on exit. Tried resetting PRAM, no joy.

Does it sound like my HD is finished? I have some stuff backed up but there are photos and some other stuff i would like to get off of it. Can anyone offer any help? I have downloaded Disk Warrior but cannot check anything until this evening. It is out of warranty, 18 months old.

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I think your harddrive is indeed to heaven. A friend of my had an external harddrive which "ticked", We couldn't get it working (we tried several cases), and because it's not the sound it's supposed to maken, I think it is finished, but I ofcourse can't say for sure.

3. pauldunbar thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, now i'm even more confused. I ran the Apple Hardware Test, both simple and extended test, and it found no problems. Someone please tell me everything's going to be ok.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

The Apple Hardware Test isn't very exhaustive, so I wouldn't rely on that. You could try DiskWarrior to see if you can get it to see the drive. Or Data Rescue II to try to pull the data off. If neither of those apps work, then you're likely out of luck (barring a very expensive data rescue company helping you out).

5. emt1 macrumors 65816

Hardware test will probably report that there are no problems because it doesn't even see that a hard drive exists.

6. pauldunbar thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, am trying disk warrior now, fingers crossed.