Hard Drive dilemma, help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acrahm, May 1, 2008.

1. acrahm macrumors regular

i am debating a couple options and hopefully i could get some great input here.
    my situation is this:
    have a mac mini and have about 500 gb of vids/music/photos etc but it will grow to just under 1tb. right now i have a 500 gb HD that has everything on it (used as my itunes folder) and a western digital my book 1 tb "mac" edition. I love the 1tb but have read some not so good reviews on it and am thinking of returning it. My worry is the HD's crashing suddenly and losing all the info.

these are the different scenarios i am thinking of doing, which one do you all think is best?

#1-buy 2 of these at costco, getting them at costo because of their return policy. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=&lang=en-US
    use one as my itunes folder, other as my back up HD. total cost about $450

#2-buy 2 internal 750 gb and get a 2 bay enclosure for them and use this as my time machine HD and keep the WD mac edition and use that as itunes folder

#3-get a time capsule (tb) and use it as my time machine HD and then use a tb HD as itunes folder.

Which one would be best? feel free to suggest what HD's (internal or external) would be best, what enclosures would be best or a better option all together i havent posted

Thanks!!!

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

#3 Time Capsule would be the easiest, if you're mainly worried about HD failure with a Mini.

Mirrored RAID would work well for backup, and apparently can be done externally. Check this thread:

but for mirrored raid use 1. Using 0 is striped, which is faster but not redundant.

3. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I personally have had troubling issues with Time Capsule. It works the way it should, its just that while backing up data, the wireless network speed slows down to a crawl, and if it is backing up my 500GB HD, then the network speed is slow for over an hour, which I hate.

If I were you, I would look to go with option #2.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

5. .mark. macrumors 6502

+1 for drobo... i've recently been looking into fault tolerant storage and drobo seems amazing. Very helpful forum as well - google drobospace

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these in the near future. I've watched all the videos on it and it looks like it would do the job very well.

7. acrahm thread starter macrumors regular

I like that idea but the drobo is a bit expensive