Hard drive disappeared!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hannahjb1310, May 24, 2010.

1. hannahjb1310 macrumors newbie

So I just received a new mac after having many problems with my old MacBook. When I started up, the hard disk was only to be found in the finder, whereas I like it on my desktop. When I dragged and released onto my desktop, it went poof! And now it is never to be seen again. I've done a search through finder and I cannot find it anywhere. I can get by without it by searching through my finder - but I really like my hard disk button-thingy (especially on my desktop!). Please help!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

The latest version of Mac OS X (called "Snow Leopard") removes your hard drive off the Desktop to keep everything nice and clean. If you want it back there, here's what you need to do:

While on the Desktop, go to the "Finder" menu (in the menu bar at the top of the screen) and select "Preferences." Under "General" it will say, "Show these items on the desktop." Check the box for "Hard disks."

[​IMG]

Now, to get your hard drive's icon back in the Finder window (the one that went 'poof'), open a new Finder window (by clicking on the Finder's icon in the Dock). Go to the Finder menu again (at the top of the screen) and select "Preferences." Under the tab called "Sidebar," check the box for "Hard disks."

Done. :)

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Finder -> Preferences -> Sidebar -> Check "Hard drives" (recheck if needed)

To see it in Desktop: Finder -> Preferences -> General -> Check "Hard drives"

EDIT: Damn I'm too slow :p

4. hannahjb1310 thread starter macrumors newbie