Hard Drive DOA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 32VGT, Nov 23, 2011.

1. 32VGT macrumors newbie

My MBpro 15" was running really crappy the past week or so. Long story short, powered it off then upon restart I got the Question Mark Folder. I installed another hard drive from another identicle MPpro 15" and it powered up fine and went directly to the OS.

Now, I just recieved the new hard drive and installed it just like the manual states and went to power the laptop on with the startup disk. I went to run disk utility and the new HD is not visible inside the window. Is this i sure fire sign the new HD is DOA, or am I just missing something? All of the tutorials I have found have stated the HD should be visible with a green arrow ready for partioning.

Any help appreciated.

FYI: The new HD is Western Digital 320GB 7200 RPM Black Scorpio or w/e they call it.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you made sure that you have installed it correctly? I.e. that all cables are plugged in all the way.

3. 32VGT thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, everything was connected and properly seated. I just want to know if there are some start up settings that I am missing or it should be able to read directly from Disk Utility.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It should appear in Disk Utility. Sounds like it might be DOA, which isn't all that unlikely.

5. sfoalex macrumors 6502

Near the SATA connection there is a jumper block. Are any of the jumpers connected with a black jumper plug?

6. 32VGT thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, sounds like it. Kind of sucks, i need my computer back!!!

Nah, they are in the default position. I already got an RMA number on this thing so hopefully #2 nets me results i need.

-Thanks for the help.