hard drive does not boot but is readable

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Outkast27, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

So I have a old white macbook I bought on craigslist. It would not boot. I put a new hard and loaded osx, works nice now. I put the old hd in an enclosure and it reads just fine on my mbpr, how come it does not boot? I ran the repair option under disk utility, still does not boot but i can read files on it perfectly.....

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ah, you got it fixed, the HD is not shot, the OS on it is most likely corrupted or the permissions were wrong, for instance, if the permissions on the root level is set to be executed by nobody the system will refuse to boot since it has no permission to do so.

3. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

oh wow. I wonder if I should reformat and take the new 320 gig back, it was onlt 60 bucks or less, but I am only doing all this to flip it and make money.....

Im surprised how smooth it runs for being and older machine.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I've got a Powerbook G4 1.67 (And a new 2012 Min), with 10.5.8, it still runs smooth as long as I don't use Flash for instance, this was the last OS it could run, SL was even faster since they got rid of all the PPC code.
    The Mini runs fast as well, except the ridiculous slow startup and shut down times, my 8 years old PB does that much faster than the new Mini.
    Yeah, you could try to install SL on it, you can do this by starting from the installer DVD and then choose the external, I know a trick which can do this without running from the DVD but is a bit complicated, you need Pacifist (App) with this and then open the OSInstall.pkg which is in the /system/Packages folder on the DVD.

5. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is how I finally finagled it, I used a 10.7.4 boot cd from my 2011 mbp, it would not install, it guess its too new of osx for that machine. It said I can install from backup, so I clicked restore from backup which then allowed me to get into exit then select pick startup boot then selected my thumb drive I made. Otherwise without the cd, I couldnt get to the point of booting from the thumb drive. What is the latest osx the macbook can handle?

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Depends on the Model, I asked you yesterday but you never told me, if you want to find out yourself there are several ways, a nice free App with all specs of most if not all HW and some software is MacTracker, around 50 MB download, another way to check is to go to everymac.com.
    The App shows you what the original OS is and what it can run amongst much more info, try it.
    The App itself is (a bit) poorly written, sometimes it does not open, sometimes it crashes and it's slow to load, but on your rMBP it should be much faster than on my HD Mini.

7. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry