Hard drive dying--send help!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alxths, Jun 18, 2007.

1. alxths macrumors 6502

I should probably be running out soon to get an external HD to back my stuff up. Can anyone recommend a specific kind of external HD? I have Firewire400 and USB 1.1.. I'm guessing a firewire 400 capable one would be better? That's the main thing I'm wondering actually, FW vs USB.

2. ironic23 macrumors 6502

What kind of computer do you have?

I would recommend a FW400 external HD over the USB1.1 because:

a) FW400 gives you faster transfer speeds up to 400mbps where as USB1.1 only gives you speeds up to 12mbps (correct me if i am wrong)

b) If you're using Mac OS X, you can boot from a FW external HD while you can't on a USB external HD.

Popular brands of external HDs include Lacie drives, Western Digital MyBook drives or you can even buy a bare drive and put it into an external HD casing. You can search for the pros and cons of these brands on the forum or on the web.

Good luck with your search and do backup quickly to avoid loss of data! And backup regularly. Cheers.

3. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a powerbook.. I just realized that I read this forum's title too quickly, hah. It's 3.5 years old now which I guess is a good run considering this is the first hardware problem I've had.

Thanks for the clarification.. I'll see about getting a firewire drive then.

4. ironic23 macrumors 6502

There's a good deal on a 750gb Maxtor external HD that has a triple interface (FW400, FW800 and USB2.0). Link

Depending on how old your PowerBook is, i am (assuming) pretty sure that it has FW400, FW800 and USB2.0 ports on it. Could you tell me which model a PowerBook you have (or specifications)?

5. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

It's this one.

I was wrong, actually. It does have USB 2.0. Only Firewire 400 though.

6. ironic23 macrumors 6502

That's good. At least you're not going to run on USB1.1, transferring gigabytes of data!

Get a drive that has a FW400 port so that you can boot off it in case your internal HD fails.

Good luck!

7. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

That is a good deal.