Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5piN

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
.....Now I have my iMac on the way I'm just planning the migration from my Win7 box....

Anybody have any recommendations for enclosure that I can put my SATA data drive in?

USB or Firewire....

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Why put an old hard drive in a TB enclosure? His hard drive is limiting his bandwidth, not the USB 2.0 port. Now a SSD raid array on the other hand...

USB 2.0 has maximum bandwidth of about 35MB/s in real world. Any relatively modern hard drive can deliver greater speeds than that.

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
The FW800 port is more than adequate to connect a mechanical hard disk. If you just want to migrate data I would go that route. There is always something useful you can to do with a good USB/FW800 enclosure.

One advantage to waiting for the TB enclosures though, would be the daisy chaining capabilities...so in theory you could still connect your mechanical hard drives for storage and backup use as well as the new smoking fast SATA III SSD drives hitting the market now.

I wouldn't wait for TB to get a good backup solution in place though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.