Hard Drive Enclosures that look like Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aboo, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Hi Forum Members,

I have been searching through the internet looking for a comprehensive list of sorts, but to no avail. Having perused through the various set up threads in the picture gallery, I noticed that many members have external hard drive enclosures that markedly resemble the mac pro desktop. I was interested in purchasing one for myself, but didn't know of very many. Thus far, these are the ones I've got:

Mac Power Pleaides
    Macally
    Rosewil

I am sure there are many more, especially manufacturers of multi-HD enclosures. I was hoping to get your input to get some ideas of other manufacturers to consider.

Thanks in advance!

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Go to http://www.macsales.com they have a few closures that match the look of the Mac Pro. I'm guessing they are the ones you've seen.

I believe OWC makes them.

Cheers.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Check out Iomega's site... they have some nice enclosures that closely resemble the Mac or Mac Pro look... however, I think you have to purchase them *with* the drives installed.

The UltraMax Pro looks like a good choice, and appears that the hard drives can be swapped out for your own.

[​IMG] or [​IMG]

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

As does CineRAID. They also offer some larger models with this appearance, for up to 12 drives. :eek: ;)

6. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Don't buy iomega... I used to use one. One of the HDs in it died, leaving the other one so I phoned iomega support who told me they would not replace just the drive, you have to send the entire unit in where they will send you another one (read: completely formatted and empty). Was I supposed to just say goodbye to the 1TB of data on the remaining drive?

At the time I didn't have anywhere else to put it, so I just had to give up and buy a new drive myself. I've since moved on to a drobo which has brought its own problems :)

Any company that will not just accept the dead component back when it is so easy to access is not one that I can recommend dealing with.

7. MTI macrumors 65816

From the earliest days of computer data storage, that's what backing up is for. ;)

As for Iomega's policy . . . I really can't fault them for wanting all of their product back, not just the bits. Is Apple's policy much different if say, a hard drive in a Mini fails?

8. Aboo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks to all or the replies. I will look into these options.

9. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

It sounds like he already had the data backed up on one of the drives in the Iomega device. I guess he could have backed THAT up as well, but then where does the trail of backups end?

10. ajthomason macrumors 6502

The data was backed up... onto the drive that failed :p

And that is not the same thing. Have you ever tried to get the HD out of a Mac Mini - it's very difficult. Getting the HD out of the iomega was as simple as undoing 2 screws and sliding out the HD draw, it is designed to be accessible.

11. MTI macrumors 65816

I really don't believe in only having backups on things that spin or in just one place, whether it's been floppy discs, streaming tape, RAID drives . . . for documents and media, it has to be on at least two places.

As for removing 2 screws . . . I'm sure you have to be aware of all the mischief that can happen when you give a consumer access to hand tools. ;)

Having dealt with "customers" whose depth of knowledge merely made them dangerous, their eyes seem to glaze over when I mention things like torx anti-tamper fasteners, anti-static procedures and all the other procedures that typical consumers bypass.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

At least if these are used, most consumers can't even get into the device. :p

13. MTI macrumors 65816

Or there's a lot of metallic "scar tissue" from them trying. ;)

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

There's always a few hard heads. ;) It's just that the technical support departments has to deal with all of them. :p

15. tmoney468 macrumors 6502