Hard drive fail...again? :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pmm06003, Feb 27, 2012.

1. pmm06003 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I am really freaked out that I might lose everything again, I was clearing out my hard drive of unwanted documents and such and was planning on backing up later.

I closed my macbook pro and then when opening it later it asked for my password, which I entered 5+ times, never getting it "right" although I knew it was right. I then turned it off and restarted it, but it never made it back to the login screen.

I tried to hold shift with nothing happening as well as pressing alt, clicking on mac HD and still nothing. I am desperate. I need most of everything on that harddrive and will be so upset if this has happened twice.

Anyone with any suggestions or input would be amazing.

Cheers, Pete.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's possible that you deleted something critical to the system. If you have another Mac, connect the two with a FireWire cable and start the dieing one up in Target Disk Mode by pressing T right after you hear the chime. It should appear as an external hard drive on the other Mac. From here, copy over your data.

3. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

This isn't "helpful" to your situation, but I need to address something that people seem to make a common mistake in believing. If a hard drive "crashes", you don't automatically lose all your data. It's still on the hard drive. Most of the time, you can simply hook up your drive to another Mac (external hard drive case, FireWire, etc.) and transfer your data off... and that's just one of many ways to address such issues... like this:

4. pmm06003 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that this happens and you can get most of the files off most of the time, I am going to try connecting it to my girlfriend computer when she gets home and hope for the best. Thanks for the info, and I'll let you know how it goes.