Hard drive failed lost everything. Will this work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Knot, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Knot macrumors newbie

So my internal hard drive decided it was done after two years of life and fried itself. I lost all of my information minus my iTunes library and my pictures :rolleyes:. Now I'm looking for a new internal. I saw thisband was wondering if it would be compatible with my 2009 aluminum MacBook Pro. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145299
    If it is has anybody any information on it? And if it isn't can someone point me in the right direction? I'm a college student in a ton of debt with a poor paying job. I need something cheap that I can install myself safe and effectively. I'm typing all of this on my iPhone as we speak. I really need my computer back. I understand if this has been covered before or it's the wrong forum or whatever. But I don't exactly have the means of searching correctly. Please help.

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Nope, it won't fit. MBP use 2.5 inch drives and this is a 3.5 inch

3. Knot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response.
    Would you happen to know of any 2.5" drives around the same price?

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Why not check your waranty status ? I had an fried WD a couple of weeks ago and the shop where I bought it exchanged it for free. Check the brand an look on their site how long the warranty counts.

5. Knot thread starter macrumors newbie

how can i check the brand? it's the stock apple hard drive. I wasn't planning on pulling it out until I got the new one.

6. Nocky24 macrumors member

Are you still under Applecare? If not it would mean buying a replacement yourself unfortunately, I'd recommend a Seagate Momentus 2.5".

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Ed

You actually need 2 HDD: one to be back on and another for backup!
    www.macsales.com

8. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

9. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Mine was already a replacement since I needed more than the stock size. As I was in a hurry to recover my machine I just went to the store and bought a new one to replace it. Less than an hour later Leopard was installed and time machine was restoring the backup.
    A week later I went back to the store with the faulty HD and the original bill and they gave me the choice : a new disk or something the same value, no further questions asked. I came back with an external HD that I now use with Carbon Copy Cloner to run a second backup, CCC makes bootable backups so when this happens again I'll be even quicker be up and running.

10. Knot thread starter macrumors newbie

I never got apple care. I didnt think I would need it. And I didnt for 2 years. That last Samsung for $55 dollars looks like the deal I'm looking for. But it's only 5400rpms. Most of the HDD's I've seen have been 7200rpms. Is this a huge difference? Does anyone know what speed the stock hard drives are?

I've also read a lot of bad stuff on seagate and I understand that samsung is mediocre. Is this true? I've been looking at Hitachi and Western Digital just because I've heard good things.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Samsung is not mediocre, neither is western digital nor hitachi, nor seagate. For every hard drive brand there are die hard fans and haters. Remember that those with problems are usually a very vocal minority.

5400rpm vs 7200rpm isn't all that is used to be, things such as seek time, cache and other factors go into play for a hard drive's speed. Some 5400rpm are faster than 7200rpm drives.

If you don't do anything intensive, you will not notice much if any difference between the two in day to day tasks.

12. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

Just get a WD Scorpio Black., for the small amount of money it is a faster drive from a great brand.

13. Knot thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. Makes sense. I guess I'm going to go to with the Western Digital Scorpio Black. Thanks again for the quick help. /thread.