Hard Drive Failing?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by theapplefreak, Apr 8, 2012.

1. theapplefreak macrumors regular

I am in search of a really good data recovery app. I have precious photos and video files that I cherish very much on this external hard drive.
    Whenever I plug it into my computer, nothing appears in Finder. It appears on Disk Utility though. I tried repairing it, but it tells me that I should try to recover the files, back it up, and reformat it.
    And that's why I need a data recovery app.

Do you guys have suggestions? Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

To retrieve files, that have been deleted and also been emptied from the Trash, you can use
    Data Rescue 3 (trial lets you scan the HDD and see, if data is recoverable, but to actually recover files, you need to buy the full version for 99 USD) or
    FileSalvage (trial lets you scan the HDD and see, if data is recoverable, but to actually recover files, you need to buy the full version for 89.95 USD).
    DiskDrill - lets you recover data from HFS/HFS+, FAT, NTFS & other file systems right on your Mac[/I].​

Also know, that you should immediately stop any writing processes to the actual HDD. If it is the same HDD as the one your operating system (OS) resides on, it is better to use an external HDD with Mac OS X on to boot from and install Data Rescue or FileSalvage onto to scan the HDD from which the data has been accidentally deleted.

Can you click the MOUNT button in Disk Utility?

[​IMG]

3. theapplefreak thread starter macrumors regular

Wow thanks for the list of suggestions!

And yes! I can mount. What difference does it make?

4. simsaladimbamba

If you can mount the volume, it should appear in Finder, thus you may be able to copy data off the volume.

I backup my important data up this way:

5. theapplefreak thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhh. Yeah. It doesn't work.

[​IMG]

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Do you by chance have an extra A/C adapter for that drive(or one with the same plug, voltage output and current ratings)? I had a similar situation happen with a Seagate external drive, where the drive would show up in disk utility but it wouldn't mount. It turned out to be a bad adapter.