Hard drive failure? HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brandon.vong, Nov 17, 2007.

1. brandon.vong macrumors regular

Hey guys,

My name is Brandon and I've been a lurker for quite a few years now on the board. I have a BIG dilemma though, I was using my trusty ole' 12 inch PB when all of a sudden my screen disappeared and I got these vertical lines running up and down my screen. The screen was changing colors and it went white, I manually shut down my computer for I feared the worst. Did my hard drive fail? If so, is it still possible to retrieve my school work and what not on it? Thanks so much!!!

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

No, I don't think so

Seems to be a dying mobo or video board. Your hard drive should be fine, so you can just mount it in an external case and get your data back!:D

3. brandon.vong thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the quick response! So how much would it probably cost to replace? What's the easiest way to transfer my data then?

4. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

That's the way my old 12"iBook went .. :(
    It turned out to be the logic board .. :eek::eek:

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

That is NOT a hard drive failure. There is nothing wrong with your hard drive. Most likely it is the cable from the video card to the display that is damaged.

To get data off while your computer is being repaired or to transfer data to a new computer you don't need anything but a Firewire cable. Restart the PowerBook holding down the 't' key. Connect it via Firewire to another computer and your PowerBooks hard drive will show up as an external drive on the other computer.

7. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Welcome to the forums, Brandon.

As others have said, it is not a dead hard drive, but a dead logic board.

You may or may not be able to boot your PowerBook into target disk mode by holding down "T" on boot. If you aren't, your only option is to remove the drive and copy data off of it with an external enclosure.

A dead logic board on a 12" PowerBook is a pretty big deal, and it will likely be more cost-effective to simply sell it for parts and get a MacBook. They've hit Santa Rosa now, so you're very safe to upgrade to a sweet new MacBook that will blow your old PowerBook out of the water.You'll like the widescreen 13" too.

Just my $0.02.

8. brandon.vong thread starter macrumors regular

If I went to the Genius Bar, what would it cost (probably) to repair? I don't have Applecare.

9. brandon.vong thread starter macrumors regular

What did you do at that point? New MacBook? =)

10. brandon.vong thread starter macrumors regular

11. brandon.vong thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the welcome and input. I have been holding off on purchasing a new MacBook Pro till I saw something awesome to upgrade too! I guess I have an excuse now to purchase a new Apple. ^_^ I just love my 12 inch though ya know? I need something of comparable size so I'll see if I can hold off till January.

12. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Maybe when I go off to college in 2011..
    Oh BTW...
    GO DUKE!!!!! :D