Hard drive failure on my macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chack311, Oct 22, 2008.

1. chack311 macrumors newbie

My computer will not start up at all. I get a flashing folder with a question mark whenever i start it up.

I've tried all of the fixes, called apple support. I tried reinstalling OSX and it does not detect my hard drive to reinstall nor does my hard drive come up in disk utility.

So my question is: could it be possible that the reason my hard drive is not coming up is because it is completely full?

The reason i believe that this is possible is because I downloaded a bands full discography which was about 2 GB. I had a little under 4 GB of space remaining on my hard drive. Whenever dragging files to Itunes, the program makes a new folder for the added files in my Itunes Music folder. Not thinking I dragged the whole folder(2GB) to my Itunes. So could it be possible that by dragging those files to my Itunes that it maxed out my hard drive? And if so is there anyway to access the drive to delete some files and maybe get it working again.

After I dragged these files to my computer it slowed down greatly and kept freezing until I was forced to shut down. When I restarted the computer the grey screen just came up blank.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

2. chack311 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The hard disk has almost certainly failed - just a coincidence that it happened while you were copying too many files.

You are going to have to purchase a new 2.5" SATA laptop drive and install it.

I hope that you have a backup of your files and I am amazed that Apple did not tell you that your hard disk had failed.....

4. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Yeah I agree, just being "full" wouldn't cause it to not boot.

However, HDs are cheap and pretty easy to install-hope you backed up :(

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

That's a symptom that the hard drive is dead. Could also be the controller on the motherboard although much less probable.
    If the problem was the drive being too much filled up, you would still be able to see it in Disk Utility.
    As the other pointed out, the best thing to do is to replace the drive, either have it replaced if it is still under warranty or replace it yourself (in which case I suggest you get a bigger one, for all your musics library needs ;)). Replacing Macbooks hard drives is pretty easy.