Hard Drive Failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by citywalk, Mar 16, 2011.

1. citywalk macrumors member

So my Macbook Pro has stopped working.

It froze when i was surfing the net last night. So i tried to open a different browser and when i clicked on it, it just bounced. Then the screen froze. So I had to turn the MBP off by holding down the power button.

Turned on again and all that came on the screen was a folder with a question mark on it.

Turned off again, turned on and there was a "no entry" symbol.

Did a pram reset. and same thing either a folder and question mark or no entry symbol.

Tried inserting install Disk and disk Utility. Verify Disk, It gets as far as, Checking Extents overflow file and then just sits at the timer.

Tried Repair Disk. It says "invalid content in Journal"

New Hard Drive? I just had the Superdrive replaced 2 weeks ago! Its out of applecare and had a WD Scorpio Blue HD upgrade in September

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'd contact WD, they should have a support number on the hard drive. It should probably still be under warranty.

4. citywalk thread starter macrumors member

i dont mind buying a new hard drive anyway. Its always good to have as many backups as possible.

Im going to send the other one to WD. Its says on their site its under 3 year warranty.

Just wanted some confirmation it was an HD issue and not RAM

5. citywalk thread starter macrumors member

*Update*

Stopped first repair after it appeared nothing was happening

Restarted repair. Name of Hard Drive now changed to disk1s2 and 13hrs estimated repair