Hard Drive Failure?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lindahl22, Jun 10, 2009.

1. lindahl22 macrumors member

Okay I recently bought a 1.5TB FreeAgent Desk I didn't get the Mac version one because I bought it from my local Staples. I brought it home and reformatted it so that I could use it on the Mac, GUID and the sorts. After 2 weeks of use, it just didn't mount. Disk Utility shows me the disk name grayed out. It wont mount it, and tells me to repair it. I can repair it (the invalid content in Journal), it says its fine. I go to mount it and it says it cant and it needs to be repaired, and again it has invalid content in Journal. I really need the content of this drive, and can't afford to send it to the Pros. I tried to repair it with Drive Genius and that didn't work either. I do have another 1.5TB to clone it to if I should do that.

Thanks!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

If the data is important, download Data Rescue II and try it--if anything is going to get your data, that program will, and you can see what it will get you before you pay. Don't mess around, either--if it is a hardware failure (rather than a badly corrupted index), the sooner you act the more likely you are to salvage data.

The alternate thing to try if that fails (or before, if you're brave and have the hardware) is to open it up and hook the internal drive to another case or internal controller; if it's the drive controller going not the drive itself, that could work.

3. lindahl22 thread starter macrumors member

Okay you are right Data Rescue II can see the files under advanced mode, as soon as I get my drives for my Drobo tomorrow I will rescue the files.