Hard drive failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AlexisV, Sep 9, 2009.

1. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I'm pretty sure the problems we're having with a white MacBook are due to hard drive problems, but I thought I'd get a second opinion:

• computer was dropped on a hard floor
    • started making whirring noises and would occasionally lock up or suffer long periods of the spinning wheel
    • Disk Utility check, after booting up from the CD, cam back with no errors
    • decided to wipe it and reinstall anyway
    • Snow Leopard got stuck halfway through installing, so rebooted. Installation then carried on no problems.
    • still suffering periods of the spinning wheel - it 'shudders' sometimes, rather than spinning smoothly. There have also been a couple of lockups.

Any other ideas apart from a hard drive issue, before I buy a new one to install?

2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Check that your RAM is seated properly, the drop might have knocked it around. I had a similar problem that ended up being RAM-related.

3. mannix87 macrumors 6502

4. AlexisV thread starter macrumors 68000

AlexisV

The memory sticks had a bit of gunk on them, but after a clean the machine is no different.

It seems slow and stuttery and sometimes locks up completely, even though it has a fresh install of SL.

5. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

Sounds like impending hard drive failure to me. Got a spare disk to try out in there, or a different computer to try the original disk in?

6. AlexisV thread starter macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I bought a new one since they're only about £35. Should be here in a couple of days.

Fingers crossed!