Hard Drive Failures Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gregthemost, Jul 11, 2008.

1. gregthemost macrumors newbie

I was thinking about getting a Mac, but all 2 people I know who have them :rolleyes:, have had their hard drives go out. One has had his go out twice in 6 months and lost all his data both times. I've also heard lots of second hand reports of others failing.

I know this isn't exactly a good sample of people and could be a coincidence of bad luck, but after Googling, it looks like hard drives in Macs are dropping like flies in a room full of bug spray... and it looks like Mac isn't doing anything to make things right. I was really excited about getting a Mac next semester, but I don't need a computer that kills hard drives. Life is stressful enough.

Has anyone heard what is causing this problem, if Mac IS in fact addressing the problem or even acknowledging it? Is there a fix to prevent it?

2. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

laptops are more prone to Hd failures than desktops with either Macs or PC's also the MAC OS is very critical to hardware if something is even remotely not working it can cause all sorts of issues. Apple doesnt make their own HD's they get them form who ever gives them the cheapest deal at the time so that particular company will push drives out that shouldn't e to meet their order. and lastly it just has alot to do with luck, i have had a PB wiht a HD that is going on 6 years old and still works like a charm, the one thing you always want to do is backup ur data

3. gregthemost thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm... if the Mac OS is so hard on hardware, maybe Apple should invest in higher quality HDs or push for better quality control rather than a cheaper price? either way, you purchase the HD through them, so they hold responsibility for what they put in there.

i know lots of people with pc laptops and have not heard of any catastrophic HD failures. obviously they happen. and obviously, even if there is an issue, not all Macs from all years are going to fail. but it seems failures are happening to my friends with Macs at a horrendously high rate. and lets be honest, even if you back up your data, losing a HD sucks, especially when it happens repeatedly and you are out of your computer for a month at a time. from what i've seen/read, it seems as though there are batches of Macs that have killed one HD after another... until the warranty is out and the user turns into a raging lunatic of a frustrated consumer.

if you haven't seen this great. if anyone has and has heard what the cause is or that it was an isolated batch or that Apple is doing something to address the issue. i'd love to hear it.