Hard drive for C2D white iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by js81, Apr 18, 2009.

1. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Hey all:

I hope this isn't posted elsewhere - I MRoogle'd it and couldn't find it... :)

I'm looking to replace the stock 160GB Seagate drive in my 17" C2D white iMac and was needing some advice. I've always been a Seagate fan, but the bad reviews of their larger drives has scared me. I've never had a problem with WD, so I think that's the route I'll take. My question, then, is this:

I'm looking at either the 500 or 640GB Caviar Black. Will this be OK for my iMac? I know it will fit and it is SATA, but what about heat? Is that drive going to be too hot inside my iMac? When I upgraded my (former) Mini to a 7200RPM drive, I know that my internal temps went up significantly, but not outside of a reasonable range...

Do any of you have experience with a Caviar Black in an iMac, especially a white, 17-incher? What do you think? I had thought about 1TB, but I think that's overkill for my lowly iMac... :D

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Replacing the HDD in an iMac is incredibly hard.:D

3. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Agreed. You could try search for a tutorial on youtube though. I cannot tell you which drive to install though. Sorry.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Just to add some info, it is possible to replace the drive on the new aluminum models, but that involves removing the glass and all sorts of stuff, and is obviously a void of the warranty.

If I remember correctly, the white iMacs were a single piece of plastic, with an opening for the RAM and some speakers on the bottom, so I don't think replacing the HDD is possible.

If you want to know for sure, take it to your local Apple store, or call Apple.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not only is it possible, but its easier than the Alu iMacs. Its still not easy, however.

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

How do you do that? Pull the Logic Board out the bottom?

7. Big Alsie macrumors member

It's is actually quite simple. just remove the screws at the base (in the RAM slot) and the back will detach from the front, revealing the innards.

i would recommend installing a 2TB WD Caviar Green HD for your iMac, they are only rated at 5400 RPM but they are very quiet and dont produce a lot of heat.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

9. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

Thanks all for the help (and warnings). I'm not afraid of the replacement - I've done similar "surgeries" before. :) (I've been doing PC/Mac repair for 10+ years now.)

@Big Alsie - Have you used one of the Green drives as a boot drive? I was worried about it feeling sluggish - after all I'm used to a full-on 7200 RPM in this iMac (and in my former Mini, and in my Macbook... lol).

I've read up on how to do it (and even have found a pretty good Youtube video), so I have no fear of doing it. I'm just trying (as I always do) to eke every ounce of speed out of the machine I have - I plan on getting a CAS 4 4GB memory upgrade later on, too. :D

Anywho, thanks for all the comments. Keep them coming... however, I'm mainly concerned with the heat associated with the Caviar Black, and whether its even worth paying extra for the Black when a Green or Blue would do.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If memory serves, the white c2d imacs only can use up to 3.3 gigs of ram, the system can see 4 gigs, but only use 3 and change. I'd just swap out one of your singles for a double and be good with that. Going from 2 to 3 makes a world of difference running xp in parallels.

As to whether the imac can withstand a possible increase in temperature in going from a 5400 to a 7200 drive, I'm not sure. A quick search in the imac threads may show results; I suspect this has been discussed before. I haven't seen any noticeable increase in temperature doing the same thing on a SR MPB, uni MB or uni MBP.

11. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

Yeah, I was aware of the 3.3 limit. I've already upgraded to 3GB (using a spare 2GB stick I had), but I wanted to go to 4GB to get the full dual-channel effect. :)

12. Big Alsie macrumors member

I have not used one of the green drives but i cannot imagine it would be a noticeable difference. (however, the stock drive in my iMac was a 5400 RPM drive)