Hard drive for editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waloshin, May 2, 2017.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I am looking for an internal hard drive for editing videos mainly SD and sometimes HD.

Who makes the fastest hard drives for the money or are all manufactures around the same?

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I would imagine an SSD is your fastest choice. The catch is - would 1-2 terabytes be enough volume? If not, then consider an external multi-drive RAID set up akin to say an Areca Raid enclosure hooked up via Thunderbolt.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Basic information that failed to include in your post:

Budget
    Storage
    Form fact (laptop/desktop)

If performance is a must, then skip the hard drives and go straight to SSD, but depending on who much space and how much money you're willing to spend will dictate whether that's feasible.

4. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Right now I am looking to spend less than $100 on one hard drive. I will be using this hard drive in a desktop.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

What speed of hard drive do I need for capturing Mpeg 2 i-frame at 25 Mbs?

6. WarDialer macrumors member

WarDialer

You can get a Western Digital Black 1 TB HDD for $80. https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-storage/wd-black-desktop.html

That would probably be the bare minimum, its under $100, the form factor should work in pretty much any "desktop" computer.

Altho I would go for 2 TB at least, which is over your $100 budget, but maybe Amazon or NewEgg at $120-ish isn't too far off your budget and you get *twice* the storage.

7. TheTruth101 macrumors regular

Check the data rate of the drives but basically any drive would do.

8. HDFan macrumors 6502

So what is this drive going to be used for? Source Media, Proxy Media? Libraries? What is the hardware you are going to be attaching it to - a Mac Mini? What is the software you are going to be using to create the videos - iMovie, Premiere, Final Cut ... ?

There's a lot of things to consider when configuring your system for video, such as:

1) Large disks for storage of source media files
    2) If the large disks are slow, then faster disks for containing proxy files, render files, libraries, etc.

And you need substantial horsepower under the hood in order to do the renders.

9. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

I used to have that machine. I put in the SSD Data-Doubler kit from OWC (be sure to get the logic board removal kit) and I put in an Angelbird 512wrk and a Samsung. I now have the 2012 QC 2.6 and use one smaller SSD for boot and apps and a larger SSD (mounted in the bracket closest to the top of the Mini) for AV Media. Works like a charm. I stick with Angelbird SSDs, Samsung 850's (when the price is right) and the Sandisk Extreme Pro. YMMV.

10. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

The hard drive will be used for source material, library, and proxy.

I will be using the drive in my desktop.

Intel i7 7700
    Amd R9 280X
    16 Gigabytes ddr4 2400 MHz ram

I will be using Premiere Pro.

11. HDFan macrumors 6502

You may have to make a trade-off here. If your are keeping source material on the drive, you primary consideration may be the greatest amount of space for the least amount of money. The opposite of that is if you are using it for your working drive, storing your proxy media, etc., in which case you want the fastest drive possible.

Here's an article that Larry Jordan wrote in 2013 about what kind of drive speed you need:

https://larryjordan.com/articles/hard-drive-speed/

To determine how many drives you need, take the number of video files you are playing at the same time and multiply that by 20 MB/second. (In other words, an eight camera multicam shoot would be 8 * 20 = 160 MB/second.) [which would likely require multiple drives in a RAID configuration].

I suppose ideally you would have 3 drives:

a. Your boot drive, with the application
    b. Your media drive, with the source media. This can be slower than the other drives (as above)
    c. A work drive, probably an SSD, which has your proxy and other files which benefit from the faster speed

Is this going to be an internal or external drive? How is it going to be connected (SATA, USB (2,3)?)

12. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin