Hard Drive for iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joesenior91, Aug 9, 2007.

1. joesenior91 macrumors member

Hi There,

Just wondering where i can get a decent hard drive for the new iMac i'm going to buy. Is it worth just upgrading through the apple website. I'm looking at the 500gb one. I know the apple's one is 7200 rpm, is this good? are there better one's out there? For example would a 500gb hard drive with 7200 or more rpm be more than the £60 it is on apples site?

cheers, Joe

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you buy it yourself, take into account that you'll then have the current drive in hand, and could then place it in a case to have your own external drive. :)

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I am not sure how hard it is to change the hard drive in an iMac. I have change 2 hard drives, one from the MacBook and the other from a Macbook pro. The Macbook was very easy and straight forward and took 3 mins, the macbook pro on the other hand was much harder. I had to open everything, i was the insides and had to be very careful. The process took about 1 hour.

If you have careful hands, 1 hour to burn then do it your self. Make sure you watch movies of the process or at least some pictures so that you know that you are not doing something wrong.

Like mad jew said, buy an enclosure so that you can use the hard drive that was in your mac as an external one.