Hard drive for wireless backup and music?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mala, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Mala macrumors 6502

My plan for world domination includes setting up a hard drive that would

a) plug into my stereo via a sound jack, and play all my music, and
    b) back up wirelessly.

Time Capsule looks like the man, but it doesn't, for some strange Applish reason, have a sound jack socket.

I could use my existing hard drive, which already has all my music on it, just buying an Airport Express and plugging the sound jack through that, and connecting it to the hard drive by USB or Firewire.

Is there a better plan?

2. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

Just to clarify: you can't hook up a HDD straight an Airport Express, right? I'm assuming you mean a HDD that's connected to a computer that's on the same network as your airport express?
    Just want to make sure im not missing anything.

3. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Can't I hook up an Airport Express to an external hard drive through USB? Or is that too slow for playing music?

4. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

I could be wrong on this, but i think that USB port is solely for printing. You need a computer on your network to stream the music to the airport. The airport doesn't process the music, it just outputs it to a stereo. You still need a computer to do all that processing fun :)

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

szsiddiq is correct, the Airport Express only works with printers. The Airport Extreme and Time Capsule support external hard drives, but the Express doesn't have that ability.

jW