Hard drive format help please!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by im-loving-it, Jan 26, 2013.

1. im-loving-it macrumors member

i got a western digital usb hard drive and formatted it with my mac, when i shuved the usb in my ps3 nothing comes up, i found out that ps3's only take videos that are fat-32 usb hard drives.

so if i buy a blu ray player with a usb - will i be able to play videos from my hard drive on it?

let me know

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Huh? No one here can predict what you will do in the future. However, if your future Blu-ray disc player accepts USB-connected FAT-32 drives, then it will play videos stored on your drive if the video is in the proper format. The proper video format is any of those listed as supported in your future manufacturer's documentation.

Most devices that accept external drives require drives in the FAT-32 format. It is a trivial matter to use your Mac to format a drive as FAT-32. Use the OS X built-in utility Disk Utility.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Many Blu-ray players will do that. Just look up the specs for the model you want to make sure it supports this feature.

4. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Im in the same boat as you. Ive given up trying to get my WD 1TB My Passport to be recognised by my PS3.

Ive formatted it to ex-FAT which is supposed to be the same as FAT32, but it still doesn't work on my PS3. Ive even created multiple partitions and ensured they are all formatted to ex-FAT, but still no joy.

I have no idea how to do it. If you find the answer please let me know.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

exFat is a different format than FAT32 and the PS3 will not recognize it. That is your problem. The PS3 needs FAT32.

6. mfram macrumors 65816

7. Big Stevie, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013

Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

My mistake. I actually meant MS-DOS. Isnt that supposed to be FAT32. It didnt work regardless!

Should I dig out my windows laptop to format it to FAT32?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can format to fat32 in OS X disk utility.

9. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

I dont seem to get fat32 as an option, all I get is..

[​IMG]

10. simsaladimbamba

11. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Thats what I thought, but it doesnt work. I just cant get the PS3 to recognise it. Could it be that my HD is too large at 1TB? Would that be a factor? Ive tried partitioning it and formatting the partitions but still no joy.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That should work. Here is a guide that might help you.

13. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Thanks. Ive tried all those suggestions but still wont show up on my PS3. One of the posts on that forum suggests the PS3 might not be able to give enough power to a WD ext HDD, and that a USB hub may be needed?

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah... that would make sense. A powered hub should fix that issue.

15. Big Stevie, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013

Big Stevie

I need to have a look on Amazon for suitable USB Hubs. Before I do, are these possible options to obtain enough power..

Connect my WD My Passport to my router via USB?
    Purchase a powered Ext HDD?

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You mean use the powered external HDD with the PS3? Yes, that should resolve the too much power draw issue.

17. Big Stevie, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

Big Stevie

Problem solved. It transpires that the USB ports on the PS3 Slim dont provide enough power to use an external HDD such as my Western Digital 1TB My Passport. Ive now purchased a powered USB Hub and my PS3 now recognises my ext HDD.

[​IMG]

I purchased a Plugable 7 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 4A Power Adapter for UK from Amazon.co.uk, shown here..

[​IMG]

I formatted the ext HDD on my MackBook to MS-DOS, with just the one partition. Then just plugged the USB Hub into the mains, connected it to my PS3 & connected my HDD to the Hub.

Im now happily copying over all my films, videos & photos from my PS3 & MacBook onto my HDD. I havent bothered creating folders on the HDD such as Video - Photos etc, Im just copying files over and then pressing triangle on my PS3 controller, then display all.

Done!