Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankydan100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Birmingham UK
Hi just a quick question, i have a 1tb hdd in my macbook pro which i fitted myself, Ive just sold the original 320gb drive that came with my mbp but want to wipe it first. It has osx and some programs on it etc.

Can i just take out the 1tb drive put back in the 320gb, erase all with disk utility and then put back in the 1tb drive?

Thanks in advance

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Yes. That will work. Or if you have an external enclosure you can use that.

Frankydan100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Birmingham UK
Ok cheers, I just wasnt sure as the mbp will obviously have to boot up from the 320 and then im going to erase it all. just wasnt sure if this would cause any problems or not.

Cheers.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
You may have to boot from your OS X disks after you have installed the 320GB HD.

Frankydan100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Birmingham UK
Ok cheers, so its just a case of restarting the mbp with the osx disc in and holding down 'c' when it restarts right? Then I should be able to erase the HDD.

tomf

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2009
I too have a similar problem, i've just bought a mid 2010 mbp, and it's been restored to factory settings, however, i'm replacing the drive to a 1/1.5TB drive, but someone told me i need to format the new drive first.

How do i do that if i don't have OSX on the new drive?

thank you for any help and advice.

Tom :)

Last edited:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I too have a similar problem, i've just bought a mid 2010 mbp, and it's been restored to factory settings, however, i'm replacing the drive to a 1/1.5TB drive, but someone told me i need to format the new drive first.

How do i do that if i don't have OSX on the new drive?

thank you for any help and advice.

Tom :)

If you boot off the OS X disks you have the option within the Utilities menu.

tomf

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks stridemat, very helpful, do i need to press anything when booting up or just put the new drive in, power on and install the disc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.