Hard drive formatting...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bareguns, May 3, 2011.

1. bareguns macrumors newbie

Hi everyone... I have a new-ish macbook running snow leopard.... i used to use a windows computer too so i partitioned my 1TB external hard drive, 450gb NTFS and 550GB FAT32. and then soon after stopped using windows all together. I use the FAT32 to play films on my ps3..

Now i have completely filled up my FAT32 partition, and need to re format my NTFS partition to FAT32 so i can start using that too..... i haven't got a spare hard drive to put all of the data on, and there isnt enough space to temporarily store it on my mac.

All i need to know basically is if you can format separate partitions of an external hard drive without losing the data on the other partition and how to do it!! im too scared to just try it because this would obviously cause great great frustration if i were to lose 6 months worth of downloads and stuff! :(

thanks in advance for your help!

Gary :eek:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you already have two partitions established, you can reformat one without affecting the other. It's like having two separate drives.

3. bareguns thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilliant! thanks for your help :D

4. bareguns thread starter macrumors newbie

Next problem.... :(

i have formatted both partitions to fat 32, but my ps3 can only detect one of them at a time.... is there any way to get it to see both partitions? i read somewhere on the web somebody said swissknife might be the tool for the job?

any advice would be much appreciated (as im not that good at stuff) :confused:

thanks! :)