Hard drive free space shrinking and expanding..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sansimage, Dec 14, 2015.

1. sansimage macrumors newbie

sansimage

Ok a weird thing is occurring with my startup disk. I was reading something on Chrome and suddenly a popup said my disk space is getting low. I thought that was weird, and in Finder it was down to 790 MB. Last I checked I thought I had about 30 GB. Then when I looked again it was down to 789 and still shrinking.

I closed Chrome, iTunes and a couple applications, and soon the free space started going back up. Now it aseems to have stopped at 13.23 GB. I know some applications use virtual memory or temporary memory, but 13 gigs? whats going on?

2. MacRobert10 macrumors 6502

A sleep image will take a snapshot of your memory and store it on disk and update it periodically. The size of the sleep file can approach the amount of RAM you have. If Time Machine is enabled it will take "snapshots" of your system files and keep them on the drive until a backup is performed. Time Machine snapshots aren't supposed to occur if you're running low on memory.

The best thing to do is find out what you don't need and either off load it to another drive or delete it. Memory snapshots can be prevented as described below:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-disable-os-x-from-creating-sleep-image.1685252/

Good luck.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Clear your Internet cache about once a month! Plus open System Preferences->Flash Player pane and elite Flash cookies once in a while!

4. sansimage thread starter macrumors newbie

sansimage

Well thank you macrobert and satcomer. I'll have to experiment with those settings because i like to keep as much browsing history as possible, if only there was a backup browsing data app.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yes if you get an external drive and run Time Machine on it.

6. sansimage, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

sansimage thread starter macrumors newbie

sansimage

That's a good point. I'm going to do some searching on using different disks for different time machine backups, so i can have just one that's for the boot drives and one that's for my bulk drives. Thanks!

By the way, if anyone needs help finding where all their free space went, Disk Inventory X is a great tool to find out who the culprits are and fast. Just realized where 10 GB went in 5 seconds - I never deleted the Yosemite & El Capitan installer dmg's from the Applications folder after making my boot stick-drive. ;)

It can be downloaded for free here: http://www.derlien.com/downloads/index.html