Hard drive full

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ROGERWILCO357, Apr 30, 2013.

1. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

What is the best way to back up your computer ? Which do you use?

2. simsaladimbamba

Time Machine or CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download here and works with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) or SuperDuper! or manual backing up of individual files or Dropbox.

I use CCC.

Btw, what has you thread title to do with the content of this thread? And why in such a posting frenzy?

3. ROGERWILCO357 thread starter macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

well

my laptop is full and i need to backup my data so i can clear the drive of all my pictures so I want to back it up...

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Get an external drive or NAS and run Time Machine. Synology is a good choice.

5. simsaladimbamba, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

simsaladimbamba

Just so you know, backing up is the process of creating an additional copy of your precious data, thus copying your data from one drive to another to free storage capacity on the one drive is not backing up, as you will delete the data on the one drive after it has been copied to the other drive.

If your data is precious to you, back it up correctly to another HDD (2 TB can be had for less than 100 € nowadays).

I have several internal and "external" HDDs, the external HDDs back up the internal HDDs, thus I have at least two copies of the data I do not want and/or cannot recreate. Even better would be a third copy (rotated in the backup cycle and stored somewhere else), but that is up to you.

As you made 19 posts today, obviously to gain access to the Marketplace, I am a bit baffled, if this thread is even for real and not something else.

And you knew the requirements since 2011, thus one of your four or five threads of today is kind of a duplicate.

6. ROGERWILCO357 thread starter macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

nice

what are you using to run these drives like a drobo or other NAS type setup?

7. simsaladimbamba

If that is geared towards me, then this is the answer.

I have had several external HDDs (ten or more) and recently build a Hackintosh in a Fractal R4 case, which allows 8 HDDs and two optical disk drives (ODD).
    I have disassembled all the HDD enclosures and put the best and most silent HDDs (three 1.5 TB Seagate Barracudas and two 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Green Drives into the R4 case and also one 256 GB SSD.
    As the motherboard I used only supports six S-ATA drives, I am still looking for a PCI Express card to add two to four additional HDDs to my Hackintosh.

No HDDs are in any kind of RAID, almost all of them are partitioned in one way or another, the currently unused HDDs are used to backup the important partitions.

It looks like this:
    [​IMG]