Hard drive heatsink fins. Anyone know where to get them?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by knome, Feb 8, 2008.

1. knome macrumors 6502

knome

I installed 2 new hard drives and now my fans are going crazy. Does anyone know where i can get some stick on/glue on/clamp on fins that would fit in a mac pro? I've seen a bunch that run parallel to the length of the drive but not perpendicular.

2. peejack macrumors 6502a

I would check the hard drives first or you mac pro for problems there is no reason why you fans should go crazy cause you added 2 hard drives.

3. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

How will adding heatsinks to your hard drives reduce your fan speed?

4. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I guess because with heatsink fins the fans wont need to run as fast to cool them down. The the heat isnt just on the hard drive block itself and spread throughout the fins.

this makes sense

compare to a pc cpu heatsink and fan, I have short heatsinks on cpus and the fans scream to try and keep the temps down. On the mac pro you can see the massive heatsink + fins and the fan (admittedly is rather large) runs slow and more importantly the cpu temps are a lot lower.

5. knome thread starter macrumors 6502

knome

The hard drives temps go up thereby making the fan speed increase to compensate. The more the computer is able to radiate of heat off of the parts themselves the internal temperatures will go down and the fans won't have to spin as fast to keep the same temp.

Yea anything to make the computer cooler will help. And hard drive fins do help. Unfortunately i still can't find any that fit.

This is kinda off topic but has anyone taken their computer apart and replaced all their thermal paste with the silver stuff?

6. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

it seems weird that just adding a couple drives would make your fans run so much more....

when i added 2 to mine i didn't notice any difference at all....

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

8. Bastich macrumors regular

Just a thought: I would take out one of the drives, and see if the fans still run fast. Then swap with the other drive. You may just have one bad drive that's overheating.

If fans run normally no matter which of the new drives is installed, try experimenting with which bays they're in.

:cool:

9. choreo macrumors regular

choreo

I have a new Mac Pro with (4) WD Caviar 7,200 RPM RE2 750-GB drives installed (also 16GB OWC RAM). Computer is virtually silent (and I live alone in a dead quiet room where you can hear a pin drop).

10. donharriss macrumors newbie

donharriss

I have 3 HDs in my macpro 2 x 500GBs and the standard 320GB drive and my fan revs have not increased at all from when it had only the stock 320.

11. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Actually I did notice that my fans increased speed from 600rpm to 800rpm after I populated the other 3 drive bays.

Maybe people can comment on their hdd fan speed in relation to how many drives they have?

12. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

does allowing the hard drives to sleep slow things down significantly? With 4 drives installed, 1 or 2 of which aren't accessed very often it would be nice to let those sleep, while the others remain active.

13. knome thread starter macrumors 6502

knome

I have 4 hard drives and i don't let any of them sleep now.

14. pprior macrumors 65816

Hard drive fins will NOT slow system fans. the fans run based on box temp, not based on HD temp.

Basically if you put heat generating devices (i.e. more ram, more HDs) then you have more heat to exhaust from the box, but the fins do not reduce the amount of heat.

What they will do is more efficiently remove heat from the drives, making the DRIVES cooler, but that heat is still going into the case and therefore the fans will not run any slower.

I personally didn't have any speed increase in my mac pro and I've got 4 drives stuffed in there. Sounds like something else is going on on your machine.

15. knome thread starter macrumors 6502

knome

Maybe i'm getting that reverberation that a lot of people have been getting. I'll go find something to stuff in the space today.

16. benpatient macrumors 68000

fins will not reduce the temp of the hard drive bays...they are enclosed!

waste of money/time.

you seem to have a problem somewhere in your setup. 4 10K drives wont cause the fan speed to increase THAT much...

17. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

just out of interest can you post your fan speeds/hdd temps?

18. knome thread starter macrumors 6502

knome

How do i do that with temperature monitor? I just reset the SMC and the P-RAM. Let me see if it does it again. The only other thing i have changed is i installed Vista SP1 with efi booting.