Hard drive help needed.. i dont have disk utility!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Slothlover, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Slothlover macrumors newbie

I am going away travelling and need to back up all my stuff off of my mac for the first time.. (pics, music etc the usual).

I brought a WD Elements 500GB External Hard Drive and when i plug it into my mac book (OSx) it appears in finder, and the desktop but i can't drag and drop nothing into it. Apparantly i have to format it!?

So have researched about formatting it, but i don't have "Disk Utility" in my utilities!!?? My Mac was given to me from a friend second hand so i don't have the disks etc to get it. Any other way of formatting my Hard drive or a link to download disk utilities or any alternatives!? x x Please help x x x :(

2. Sandman6 macrumors newbie

I'm also a total Mac novice - I have just bought an Iomega 1Tb external HD and desperately trying to figure out how to format it thru Utilities?

Any pointers gratefully received!

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

usually the disks come formatted. does your computer recognize the disk?
    If it's formatted ntfs,the you need disk utiity. It's located in applications>utilities.

4. Sandman6 macrumors newbie

Thanks - it turned out that the mistake I was making was to highlight the Volume, rather than the root drive. All formatted fine and working as it should.:)

5. iBlob macrumors newbie

Also disk utilities would be on your boot disk if any one else can't find their disk utility