Hard drive help needed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LouisLouis, Nov 24, 2011.

1. LouisLouis macrumors newbie

Hi i have two external 500gb hard drives (one just removed from my broken time capsule but thats another story.), i have saved everything on one of them and the other is formatted and ready for action...

I want to erase and do a fresh install of snow leopard on my mbp.

I then want everything from the one hd saved onto the other one so i have two identical copies.

Then in the future when i transfer work from mac to hd i want it to go onto both simultaneously?

I don't use time machine, i prefer keeping my mac empty and everything on two hd's.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Carbon Copy cloner or SuperDuper can create bootable clones, which seems to be what you are looking for. However, it's very hard or impossible to get Windows 7 to boot from an external HDD.

3. LouisLouis thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to keep all my files on two external hard drives so if one fails i have another.

Just say i wanted to save a file from my mac, i want to click save to 'ext-hd1' and it to automatically save to 'ext-hd2' as well.

Also when i delete 'file1' from one of the drives i want it to delete from the second as well.

Is this possible?

4. LouisLouis thread starter macrumors newbie

Just checked out carbon copy cloner and it looks like it will pretty much do what i want as it can do incremental backups.

Thanks