Hard Drive help, please!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 4inform, Jan 16, 2013.

1. 4inform macrumors newbie

Thanks for reading! Apparently, my hard drive has bit the dust... a couple of weeks ago I dropped it off the couch. It didn't appear to damage it, but several days later it started making a grinding noise upon start up. Now, it comes on silently with the grey start up screen with the apple and spinning wheel but after about a minute it goes black. Any revival tries you can think of would be appreciated! I do have a time machine backup, but I haven't had it with me for a few months and won't have acess to it for another month or my installation discs. What would be the best method to try to recover any of the data on the failed drive? Thanks for any ideas!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 2009 MacBook

2. callmerui macrumors newbie

Get an extern case and cables and plug it in another computer. This is what I have done a couple of years ago with my windows notebook.

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

You need the SATA adapter to transfer to another computer. Try this one on Newegg. Send me a personal message for an additional Newegg discount. You might as well buy a new HDD in the meantime to have it on hand. Here's a Newegg listing of all the options. You can narrow it down by size and RPM if you want.