Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gunnelcr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Need some help with this one.

I have a 2TB external Fantom Micronet Drive that seems to be corrupted. I have the HD split into 2 partitions. One as a backup for my Macbook (250 gb), and the other full with data I wanna save(1.75TB). The backup partition is mounting, but the other is not.

This is what I get when trying to repair:

"Verifying volume “disk1s1”
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Catalog file entry not found for extent
The volume Movies could not be verified completely.
Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.
Verify and Repair volume “disk1s1”

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Catalog file entry not found for extent
The volume Movies could not be verified completely.
Volume repair complete.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.
Verify and Repair volume “disk1s1”"

2 Questions:
1) Don't think I will be able to repair with any software at this point, but if I can what would I use?
2) What do I need to do to make this second partition readable so I can at least back up my data?

Thanks.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Disk Warrior is the standard commercial Mac disk repair tool. If it can't be fixed, you need Data Rescue III.

If you don't have a backup, then you will lose data.

BTW, a Backup MUST be on a DIFFERENT physical device from the source data. You can't backup to a different partition of the same drive.

gunnelcr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know I need another backup. I have another 2TB drive that I use thats fairly empty so thats what I was planning on using to backup. The problem was that I couldn't even get the partition to mount and read so that I can backup. I will try those 2 options you listed but if those don't work, any suggestions on getting it to mount for a read only option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.