Hard drive help!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bencnorden, Oct 16, 2014.

1. bencnorden macrumors member

Any help with this would be appreciated!

So I bought a new mac (MPB retina for anyone who cares) and to save the cost of buying a new hard drive I took the HD out of my old (dead) white macbook, bought an enclosure and use it as an external HD via USB. Which has been amazing as all my old files are completely the place I had left them in when my old macbook died.
    My question is this; to free up some space on the external hard drive what can I delete? Obviously not my home folder in the users folder, but folders like Library and System on the old HD can they be deleted while leaving all my other files in my home folder still intact and accessible from my new MPB like they are now? Hope this is clear enough and any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Nobody knows which applications you have installed and where they store their user and configuration data. So nobody can and will seriously advice what you can and what you cannot delete on this disk. You need to find out by yourself, I guess.

3. bencnorden thread starter macrumors member

Maybe I didn't make that it clear enough; but none of the applications on the external HD from my old mac are used anymore; I presume all the data from the apps I use now are stored on the SSD inside my main mac..? Thanks anyway

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are right on target there. Assuming you never want to boot to that disk again and don't want any of the apps, and just want your personal data, yes, you can delete everything except the /Users folder in my screenshot.

[​IMG]

5. bencnorden thread starter macrumors member

Great thank you very much; that was exactly the response I was hoping for! Thanks for your help.