hard drive help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by featherlite, Nov 18, 2007.

1. featherlite macrumors newbie

So i just got a new/first 2.2GHz macbook. I want to upgrade my hard drive right away, but have no clue were to look and whice ones would work. i know i want it to be 200gb or more and 5400 RPM or higher. This is why i come here for help. So any help would be great and providing links would also be very helpfull. thanks in advance.

2. featherlite thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the link.
    so i just got a new hard drive, how do i go about converting whats on one hard drive to the other?

3. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

You cant do that with laptops without buying extra stuff. Youll need to buy an external hdd and use disk util to make an image on the external, take out the old laptop drive, put in the new drive, boot up the install dvd, then restore the disk image from the external drive to your new drive using disk util.

4. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

It would be prudent of the OP to buy an external enclosure for their older drive. Not only will you be able to 'restore' your new drive from the old drive, you will now have (at least) 80GB of external storage.

Whatever the case, you should be keeping the original drive that you remove. Don't sell it; you may need it later on (resale, warranty, etc).