Hard drive Help!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scwtonyo, Apr 16, 2008.

1. scwtonyo macrumors newbie

Ok, I just got a macbook pro with everything from FCP suite, Adobe suite and much more. I bought it online and i didn't get the disc for these programs. Now that i've been using my mac and came to the conclusion that i need more hard drive space due to all my programs use most of the one i have in it now. I ordered the 320gb Scorpio WD3200BEVT from Western Digital. Now my question is "is there anyway to transfer everything from my old HD to my new one" and if not "Could i get a case for my old HD and just keep my programs on it and use them that way"
    Thanks in advance I'm looking for any help i can get!

Thanks again,

scw tonyo

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There is good news. For your specific situation, it is possible to transfer your stuff. You'll need a case to put one of the two drives in, preferably the new one (so you can boot from the old one). Once you have this, and get the new drive connected, you can use a program called Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate your hard drive from the old one to the new one. Then, it's just a matter of swapping out the old drive for the new one, and continuing to work as you always have. The best part is that you'll probably be able to use the old drive in that case as an external, should you need it.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you get a case, put in your old hard drive, install OS X on the new one and use Migration assistant to move your files over (or use Time Machine).

4. scwtonyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so so so much.

Thanks so much!:D Another forum wouldn't even take my post. something about (EULA). So thank you for your help. I'm a computer tard that likes to pretend he knows what he's talking about. So, how easy is it to use that?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Carbon Copy Cloner's straightforward - you download the program, install it, select the source and destination devices, click clone, type your password when prompted, and let it do its thing.

Migration Assistant is also easy to use, though I've only used it with Time Machine to do a restore from a backup, so I don't know much about its other features.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

The problem is, it seems like you got the machine without the actual disks and licenses. The guy who sold it probably kept them for himself. Not exactly legal and if you ever have to re-installl you're kinda screwed.

7. scwtonyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Even though you're an Obama supporter I thank you too! LOL JK

Hey thanks for your response. you two have made this my home for any further questions. screw that other forum. :D Another question do either of you know where i can find a good case?

Thanks again!

8. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Any SATA case is ok - there are hundreds available. Best to see what you can get in a shop near you.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Well, you'll have to actually pay for it. :p

(It you're a Hilary supporter, I'm sorry ;) )

10. scwtonyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Billary is the devil! :D lol

Ron Paul 2008!!!!!

But I've come to terms that unless some work of god happens he has no chance.

But i can hope :cool:

11. scwtonyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I have some more questions.

how should i replace my new hard drive?

1) should i put the new one in a external case and then transfer all my stuff over?
    a) If so will i need to format the new hard drive first?

2) should i take out my old hard drive replace it with the new one? Then put the old hd in a external case and transfer then?
    a)If so will i lose anything by doing this first?

Thanks in advance:D

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I recommend approach 1, and yes, you will need to format the new drive.

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You can do either. Quickest is to put the new one in the enclosure, format it with disk utility, copy your current drive with CCC (if you have enough room), then use disk utility to restore your disk image to the new drive. Swap out the drives, and you're done.

14. scwtonyo thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean by this?

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

One of CCC's abilities is making a disk image instead of a regular clone, suitable for use by Disk Utility's restore from disk image function.