hard drive help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joelio, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Joelio macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of replacing the hd on my 2.2 ghz 2 gb Ram 120 gb MBP. I know how to do it, that's not a problem, but how do I transfer everything? I have everything backed up on time mahine but i'm not sure if that will work. Any help woul be great. Thanks!

2. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I've seen this asked 100 times, but have never done it myself. However, I can probably say what others will say.

Carbon Copy Cloner.

Get an external enclosure to put the new HDD in, make a CCC mirror of it, and that way when you put the new drive into your MBP, it'll just boot right on up.

I hope I'm saying this correctly!

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Not forgetting to try booting from the new drive in the enclosure first in case it's DOA it'll be a waste of time putting it in if it is

4. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that step!

5. Mr. Clean macrumors member

Mr. Clean

6. Snowbound macrumors regular

I imagine that it can't be much different than switching to a new laptop. I've done that and it worked fine transferring my files via time machine. It was fairly intuitive, I doubt you'll have a problem.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

The difference is that you are moving EVERYTHING including system files, moving to a new laptop does not do that.