Hard drive icon location on desktop after HD upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thomasp, Jan 9, 2011.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I upgraded the internal hard drive in my MacBook Pro and cloned it from my old one via SuperDuper! after a Time Machine restore failed to boot. However, now the new hard drive's icon no longer sits in the top right corner of the desktop, despite it being selected as the startup disk. Instead there's just a huge gaping hole. If I move it there and then "clean up" the selection it shoots off down the other end of the desktop.

How can I permanently have the HD icon back where it used to be? I've tried repairing permissions and deselecting and reselecting the display of HDs in the finder prefs but neither worked.

2. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Try Finder View menu > Arrange By > Kind

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've done a bit more poking around and it seems that the disk isn't actually selected as a startup disk, despite being selected as so in the startup disk prefs pane. When I open "About This Mac" there is no mention of startup disk, whereas there was before.

Both disks were called the same, if that makes any difference.

4. davidlv macrumors 65816

Try clearing the PRAM
    Hold down the Command+Option+P+R keys at start up till you hear the chime twice.

5. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, resetting the PRAM didn't work. I reset it, reselected the startup disk in system prefs, rebooted and still nothing showing up in About This Mac, and the HD icon refusing to stay put.

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

If I understand it correctly, the informtion for icon location, etc, is kept in the hidden .DS_Store files/ You may have one that is corrupt. To delete those files and have the system recreate them, you can use Onyx (different versions available for SL,L, and Tiger) under the Maintenance/Rebuild pane.
    Might be worth a try.

7. mntentman macrumors regular

This is just a wild shot. Try deselecting and then reselecting as a device under Finder > Preferences > Sidebar.