Hard drive iMac BTO from the Apple store

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cpo, Dec 22, 2013.

1. cpo macrumors newbie

I have read as many of the BTO threads as I can find. I am still not sure on the iMac that I will be ordering. I currently have an early 2008 iMac, so I know anything that I order will be better than what I am currently using. I also have an early mac mini. I have a OWC 1Tb external Mercury Elite Pro, and a Time Capsule. I have attached a pic of the BTO order specs from Apple. My questions are several.
    What is Flash storage?
    I think I want to go with SSD and external storage.
    How would one allow the new iMac, the old iMac and the mini to all share the external.
    Safe secure data back up is extremely important to me.
    Would this be a viable option for me . . . OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual Performance + Mirror RAID

I know if I have to ask it probably doesn't matter, but here goes anyway,
    From the pic I provided, is the configuration, aside from the drive, the "best" iMac one can buy. Obviously as you can see since I am still on an early 2008, I don't update as often as most.
    Usage is your typical casual user; lots of photos, Pixelmator(mildly similar to Photoshop), e-mail, web surfing, Office (excel, word) iMovie, Garage band, and things yet to be explored!!
    I am looking to maximize and assimilate what I currently have into the new set up.
    Thanks for any info.

Attached Files:

2. cpo thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so I now have found out that Flash storage does equate to SSD, so most likely going to go with 256; but still looking for some help/guidance on the other questions.
    Anyone?