Hard drive in the new iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by OldCorpse, Oct 26, 2009.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Anybody know what the hard drive is in the new 27" iMacs? One is a 1TB and then the 2TB option. Both seems are 7200 RPM.

Question: What make and model number? WD? Seagate? Hitachi?

Is it 8, 16, 32, or 64MB?

2. dave92029 macrumors member

iMac HD

I was in the Apple Store yesterday and we checked that the iMac has a 7200rpm WD HD... didn't note the model

The Mac mini have 5400 rpm drives

3. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I hope it is the Black WD drive. I prefer WD now over the Seagate drives. After the chaos with the 1.5 TB Barracuda's, I don't know if I trust them anymore.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would say they are WD's Caviar Greens. What I've heard, Caviar Black is noisy and more like a server hard drive than a AIO HD

5. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

6. REALWILDCHILD macrumors newbie

yes, my guess is same as you.

i have early 2009 iMac which include WD 640GB HD
    one day i swapped to WD 1TB Black 32MB of cache and original HD was WD 640GB 16MB cache. there was any sign but that is probably WD green.
    after swapped.. i noticed that WD Black is much more loud and noisier than original. but way faster than before.

and yesterday I got WD 2TB Black which has 64MB cache and 7200rpm.
    I swapped it again. it's little bit faster than 1TB black but not too much. also still noisy..

IMHO,

New iMac has WD green or similar stuff.. because Black version is noisy and consume more energy.

and WD Black is good for desktop computing if you don't care too much about noise.

7. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

That's interesting, because if it's the WD greens, I have 4 of them (all 1TB), and all have the same issue: they power down constantly, and then are a real bear to spin up again... it takes 20-30 seconds before they spin up... drives me crazy. Of course, I got them in WD MyBook enclosures, so maybe that makes a difference, but I got my music on them, and it takes forever to kick in once I select a song. Sucks.