Hard Drive info needed (how do I....?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by safetyobc, Oct 29, 2007.

1. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I just purchased this Hard Drive http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-Deskto...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1193690954&sr=1-1

I saw it on Apple's store for the same price, but after tax and shipping from Apple, I could get it next day from Amazon for the same price, so I chose Amazon.com.

Anyway, I have my copy of Leopard sitting here waiting to be installed. I want to install it, but I want to back up my drive first to my new hard drive (coming tomorrow). I have downloaded Super Duper to use to clone my drive and back up my stuff. I have a brand new MBP I just got a week ago, so most of my data is recoverable from other sources at this point, but I also wanted the external Hard Drive to use with Time Machine. I am really REALLY wanting to install Leopard to use the cool "new" features but I am trying to be patient so I can backup.

My question is I want to use the external HD for TM but I also want to use it for external storage of Video, Photos, Music, etc. Is there a partition or something I am going to have to do? If so, how do you partition a drive?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I have no clue about these drives and such. I have been flying by the seat of my pants, not backing up data up to this point. TM will change that.

Thanks,

safetyobc

2. dborja macrumors 6502a

Out of the box, the drive is formatted as DOS Fat32. Run the Disk Utility (found in Applications->Utilities) and reformat the drive as Mac OS X Journaled.

You can certainly create other folders on the drive. TM will create its folder which coexists with yours.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

What are you going to backup? What I'd think you be wanting to backup with TM is your data. If you use the same drive for both storage and backup then you have no backup. When (not if) the drive fails you loose what's ever on it. But yes you can partition the drive. Use "Disk Utility".