Hard Drive Instalation 1.6 G5.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newf, Dec 11, 2008.

1. newf macrumors newbie

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

In answer to your question yes, that one would be fine in your G5. Any SATA or SATA II drive will work fine, so it is just down to finding what the best deals available to you locally are, really.

A SATA II drive like your link is in some ways overkill as it is capable of transferring data at SATA II speeds which are 3.0 Gb/s, but the hard drive bus in your G5 is operating at the older SATA speed of 1.5Gb/s. Most SATA II drives are backwards compatible with SATA speeds though, although some need to have a jumper in place on the back of the drive to limit it to SATA speeds. The need for that jumper will be explained in the documentation with your drive or can be found on line at the manufacturer's website.

Just be sure of a couple of things- get the largest one you can comfortably afford because you will always accumulate more files that you might think at the start, and make sure you make plans to use an external drive for backing up your internals! There are few worse feelings in the computer world than to have your hard drive suddenly physically fail- but one of the worse feelings is to have your drive fail and then realize that you don't have a backup of any of the data on it! :(

4. newf thread starter macrumors newbie

you think I should just get a external instead and just keep my music and pics there,my concern is speed.also want to upgrade a little add some mem ,Leopard,iwork08 ,currently I have Tiger .Thanx

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

You won't regret getting external, I think we can assure you, but two internals would be very useful. Transfer speed would be faster for a start.

However, if you want to 'share stuff' with a friend, especially things like music, movies and photos, an external drive is the way to go. Me? I'd do both, but then I usually buy 2-hand stuff.

Incidentally, if cost is an issue, you can save perhaps US$30 by using a SATA-USB2 adaptor from a bare external drive, no enclosure needed. Can't use firewire connection of course, and it has to have a power supply, but you could always save up meantime for an enclosure later.