Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nauthez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
I recently purchased a new hard drive and I wanted to know: Is there a specific format I need to convert it to (and if so, how?) and can the original restore disks install OS X on the new hard drive. Thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I recently purchased a new hard drive and I wanted to know: Is there a specific format I need to convert it to (and if so, how?) and can the original restore disks install OS X on the new hard drive. Thanks

Yes, you need to format it with Disk Utility (on the OSX CD/DVD, if you are booting from the CD, then go to the Intaller or Utilities menu at the top) or if this is a external drive or second drive in a tower machine, then you cn use the disk utility in Applications: Utilities on your main hard drive.

You almost certainly want to format it Mac OS Extended (HFS+)

Then you can do an Install of the OS, which will put on all of the stock stuff.

Note: It helps when posting questions, to specify which model and speed of Mac you have.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
iFixit.com has a great D.I.Y. section, you can go there to find out how to get inside the macbook. when your new drive is installed you will need to either boot off the old drive that has OS X installed or from the DVD. from there you can go into disk utilities and format the drive. It will be under the "erase" tab. then you can either copy the old drive by using a program like carbon copy or super duper. or you can run a new install from the DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.