Hard drive interchangability question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abijnk, Nov 30, 2007.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Hi all,
    So, I am going to pick up my new SR MacBook today (YAY! :)). In my old MacBook I have a 250GB hard drive with Leopard installed and all my files on it and everything. Now, I am going to back everything up before I make the switch of course, but I am not sure if when I put the hard drive into the new MacBook if it will simply power up and use what is on there now, or if I will indeed need to wipe it and do a clean install of Leopard again. Anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks

2. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

OK, well, I don't know if just no one knew the answer to this, or if it was such a newb question that no one bothered to answer ;) But after getting my new macbook yesterday I brought it home, took the WD scorpio drive out of my old macbook, put it in my new one and it fired right up without issue.

So, to answer my own question and incase anyone is looking for this in the future, yes you can do this. That is, you can take a hard drive that is set up on one macbook and put it in another one without having to reinstall the OS or anything like that.

Thanks

3. eman macrumors 6502a

Yes, you are right. I do this all the time while I am working on macbooks. I haven't had any problems switching HDD between different macbooks. Pop the HDD in and boot, all your files are still there. I keep one macbook HDD handy at all times for testing purposes.