Hard drive is full...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by c073186, Jan 29, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I have a PowerBook G4 with Panther installed. It has a 60 GB hard drive. All I have installed is Office 2004 (other than all the standard Mac software). Somehow, the hard drive has only 700 MB left. My Documents folder is 8 GB, my Music is 3 GB, and my Pictures is 7 GB. I have no movies. How does that add up? I do not understand where my hard drive space went. The trash is empty, also. Could files be getting stored somewhere and taking up tons of room in a way that I am not noticing? How would I even start to look for the source of this problem?

2. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Have you ever cleaned out your internet cache? Have you ever deleted temp files and log files? Have you ever run your maintenance scripts?

Try a free app called Onyx or the retail program called Cocktail to have it do some maintenance for you, like deleting caches, logs, and temps. You'd be surprised how much space those can take up over time.

Also, look for DMGs that you aren't using. Those can be quite large, too.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Shard's guide on freeing up Hard Drive space:

- use OmniDiskSweeper (not free) or my personal favorite WhatSize (free) to determine what all is taking up room on your HDD and where it is
    - I also recommend Disk Inventory X to view HDD usage - it graphically shows you what is taking up space with a decent presentation and UI
    - remove GarageBand and iDVD if you do not need them - that should free up around 6 GB right there
    - check out /Library/Printers/ - 2 GB of printer drivers that you may or may not need
    - use Monolingual to remove the unnecessary language resources from your Mac*. Another option is to use Delocalizer
    - lastly, you could always use AppZapper (not free) to ensure that when you uninstall any programs that all those pesky sub-folders, etc. are deleted

That should just about do it. :cool:

* a note about Monolingual. If you are not careful this can seriously screw up your Mac if it is Intel-based. Basically, leave the Architectures settings alone. If you delete G3, G4, G5 then anything which is PPC-based which will try to run under Rosetta, won't. Otherwise, Monolingual is great. ;)

Hope this helps. :cool:

4. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Strange... when I went back later in the day, it said 32 GB free. Why would it at one point in time say 700 MB and then just a little later (no files deleted or any changes) say 32 GB? Is it normal for something like that to happen?

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That is odd. You are sure nothing changed? You were not running any torrents, or anything of the like? I don't know of anything which would cause such a discrepancy... :confused:

6. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

The only thing that I could think of offhand might be virtual memory, although I seriously doubt it. That's about one of the only things that gets deleted after a reboot though.