Hard Drive is gone...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by starikarp, Dec 7, 2018.

1. starikarp macrumors member

Hi!

I had long time a problem with 1TB Seagate on iMac 11,1, 27'' (late 2009) and it's brake before the new SSD 500GB came. I bought this iMac long time ago and it has on Mountain Lion but I think default was Snow Leopard but the previous owner didn't give me any CD/DVD.
    When the new drive came I will replace the old one but the problem is OS X.
    After repacement is it possible to open option Disk Utils (online), repartition and install OS X online? It will automaticly choose the Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion? Or I am in trouble.

Thank you.

2. nambuccaheadsau, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

nambuccaheadsau macrumors 68000

nambuccaheadsau

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Just an FYI - your 2009 iMac would be too old to use the Internet Recovery -- So, you need a local installer of some kind, such as an installer DVD (you can still purchase Snow Leopard from the Apple web store), or another choice would be to purchase another OS X version for download. You can also still purchase Lion direct from Apple. Create your own bootable installer, maybe on a USB flash drive, or make a partition on an external hard drive, and use that for the install.

4. starikarp thread starter macrumors member

I hope that I do need OS X because I do not using it and I will install mine OS without or just use EFI (200M) partition.